Best Countries for Remote Work – What are your experiences?

Hey-yo Solo folks!

I’m currently exploring options for remote work abroad and would love to hear from those of you who have taken the plunge. Which countries do you think are the best for remote workers, and why? And which ones should I avoid?

• Connectivity: How reliable is the internet?
  • Cost of Living: How does the cost of living compare to your work country?
  • Visa Issues: Are there any visa complications or specific ‘digital nomad’ visas available?
  • Work-Life Balance: What is the work-life balance like? How are the locals towards foreigners? How do you deal with timezone differences?
  • Culture and Leisure: What are the cultural and leisure activities like? Is there a strong expat community?
  • Did I miss something important to consider?

Would like to hear your stories, and maybe even some photos if you have them :raised_hands:
Thanks a million!

5 Likes

Hey!

If you’re looking for an amazing remote work destination, the Canary Islands might be the perfect spot for you. Here’s why:

Connectivity: The internet is generally reliable, with almost all places offering high-speed connections suitable for remote work.

Cost of living: The cost of living is relatively affordable compared to many Western countries, making it a great option for remote workers looking to balance work and play. Is not a cheap option as in the past but better than other cities or countries.

Visa issues: Spain has been very welcoming to digital nomads. While specific ‘digital nomad’ visas are still being developed, the usual tourist visas can be a good starting point.

Work-Life Balance: The work-life balance here is fantastic. As locals, we are friendly towards foreigners, and the laid-back lifestyle allows for a great balance between work and leisure. Timezone differences are manageable if you’re working with Europe or even the Americas.

Culture and Leisure: The Canary Islands are rich in cultural and leisure activities. From beautiful beaches to volcanic landscapes, there’s plenty to explore. Plus, there’s a growing expat community, so you’ll have no trouble finding like-minded individuals to connect with.

Don’t know if I have convinced you, but you should try, definitely! :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hey Lucas!

I’ve had the pleasure of working remotely from both Spain and Denmark, and I absolutely loved the experience. I noticed you’ve got a great list of considerations going, but I wanted to share a couple of extra tips from my own adventures.

First off, consider the time zone. Being too far off from your client’s time zone can make scheduling tricky, so I always try to stay somewhat aligned. It really helps keep things smooth!

Also, think about how long you’re planning to stay in one place. It’s easy to lose track of time when you’re having fun, but staying too long in one country could lead to some unexpected tax residency issues. A little planning ahead can save a lot of hassle down the road.

Adding a photo of my remote work station from my Airbnb from Denmark, I really loved working from there …and I do travel with my personal big monitor in my luggage…

4 Likes