How do you handle difficult clients?

Hey everyone!

I think we’ve all been there…dealing with a client who’s more challenging than expected. :melting_face: Whether it’s constant revisions, unclear communication, or unrealistic expectations, difficult clients can really test our patience and skills.

I’m curious. How do you handle these situations? Do you have any go-to strategies for setting boundaries, managing expectations, or turning a difficult situation around?

Personally, I’ve found that being super clear about project scope and deadlines upfront helps, but I’d love to hear how you all approach it. Let’s swap some tips and stories!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Empathy, patience and make sure that the process followed makes sense for let’s say, the “general public”.

When someone is picky or let’s use your words “challenging” :upside_down_face: I tend to become more specific, write everything inicially in an email (sometimes I think the best shot is to share the email with a third person to make sure it’s not you the one that is not explaining yourself :joy:) , make sure the client understand how, when and why I did the specific process and not another one and then I try to set up a call to make sure he properly understands everything and of course, to make some more personal contact.

I have experienced that some of this clients are “difficult” in the beggining because when working remotely and not facing the providor of services, sometimes they think that it’s just AI and don’t trust the accuracy of the advisement or the service :melting_face:

3 Likes

Hey! This is a great topic that I can relate and that actually could be transferred to everyday life…

I very much agree with what Cristina brought out. In my experience, this kind of difficult situations sometimes boil down to communication issues. Misunderstandings often arise when both parties aren’t on the same page. I’ve found that taking the time to ensure clarity upfront makes a huge difference. It’s all about aligning perspectives and making sure everyone understands each other. Once that’s established, things tend to go much more smoothly. That’s why before things get heated, I take a moment, try to step into the other persons shoes to understand their perspective and possible goals, and then proceed with taking this into account. It might not work every time, but sometimes this brings the clarity needed to proceed…

3 Likes

I recently had to deal with a very challenging (to say the least) client :upside_down_face: :woozy_face: Although we had a super clear project scope, deadlines fully typed out and agreed upon and tried to manage expectations upfront - ahead of starting the project - we turned out to be on two completely different planets.

With this particular case I don’t think we could have prepared any different to avoid conflict but it was definitely a huge personal learning and a validation to always communicate, communicate, communicate and put everything you agree upon in writing. So when conflicts arise you know in your gut that you have your back clear.

I thankfully don’t work with this client any longer :pray: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes it actually could be that you are from different planets and that is also a very good knowledge to have!

3 Likes

Thank you all for the great insights! :raised_hands:

Cristina, I completely agree. Empathy and clear communication are key, especially when clients need extra reassurance. Taking that extra step to ensure understanding really makes a difference.

Piret, aligning perspectives before things escalate is so important. That moment of clarity can truly set the tone for a smoother process.

Cirkeline, I feel you on the “different planets” situation! :rofl: Even with the best planning, some clients are just challenging, but those experiences teach us a lot as Piret said.

It’s amazing to hear your stories and strategies. Thanks for sharing :pray: let’s keep the conversation going!

3 Likes

Hiya!

When a client’s expectations aren’t clear or seem to shift, I make it a point to have a quick call or send a detailed email to clarify things before moving forward. This helps realign our goals and shows the client that I’m committed to delivering quality work.

For clients who are particularly demanding or difficult, I try to stay calm and professional, even if I’m frustrated. I’ll remind them of the agreed terms politely but firmly, and if necessary, suggest a scope adjustment or additional fees for extra work.

Of course, there are times when a client relationship just isn’t salvageable. In those cases, I think it’s important to know when to walk away. It’s better to part ways than to compromise your sanity or the quality of your work. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Agreeing with everyone here. Setting clear expectations from the beginning, having details on how the process should work written down.

As a designer I’ve been in so many projects with 15-20+ feedback rounds just because you want to make the client happy, but it’s not doable. Setting the boundries, f.e with specific amount of feedback-rounds from the beginning is something I’d say is really valuable. It also makes the client aware that he/she needs to gather all feedback in one go and not just sending you messages whenever something comes to mind. (That’s another topic that you also need to restrict, how and when they can contact you).

Another thing I’ve learned is also to set an amount for unfinished projects. I’ve had clients jumping out after I’d put down several hours into projects, cause they’re realising they need something different. I’ve walked away with nothing for the hours I’ve put in already.

3 Likes

Great insights here! I completely agree that setting clear expectations from the start is crucial, especially with challenging clients. I also find it helpful to document everything and have regular check-ins to keep everyone aligned. When a client becomes particularly difficult, staying calm and sticking to the agreed terms is key. And yes, sometimes it’s just best to walk away for your own sanity and quality of work. Has anyone else had to end a client relationship, and how did you handle it?

1 Like

Ending a client relationship can definitely be tricky, but sometimes it’s necessary for both parties to move forward. I’ve had to end a client relationship once, and I found that the best approach was to be honest and professional. I clearly explained why the partnership wasn’t working and focused on how it was in the best interest of both parties. I also made sure to provide ample notice and offered to help transition any ongoing projects or find a replacement if needed. It’s not an easy conversation to have, but being transparent and respectful can help maintain a positive relationship, even if it’s ending.

1 Like

Great insight Irina, thank you for taking the time explaining your experience!

2 Likes