How do you take a vacation as a Freelancer? Looking for the best practices

As freelancers, taking a vacation can feel like a double-edged sword. We deserve a break, but stepping away from work isn’t as simple as just logging off. I’m planning my next vacation and would love to hear how you all manage it!

4 Likes

Great question, Bernadett! Taking a vacation as a freelancer can be challenging, but it’s doable. What works for me is planning my time off well in advance and communicating it to my clients. I try to choose slower periods to minimize disruptions, and before I go, I make sure to wrap up any urgent tasks and set up an out-of-office reply.

Sometimes, I’ll check emails at specific times during my vacation just to keep things running smoothly, but I make sure to limit this so I can still enjoy my break. Finding the right balance between work and rest is key to coming back refreshed and ready to go!

Hope this helps, and enjoy your vacation!

3 Likes

I am typically informing my Clients in advance - about a month. Also taking laptop when some work is essential and sorting work out in the evening hours. Working right before bedtime is not recommended though, but I have no problems with that.

2 Likes

Hi Bernadett!

I totally get it, taking a vacation as a freelancer can be tricky! Personally, I start preparing a month in advance to manage everything smoothly. I begin by adding a JPG banner in my email signature that informs everyone I’ll be on vacation from [Date X] to [Date Y] and that I’ll be back on [Date Z].

Also, one month before, I send out a mass email to all my clients to let them know about my upcoming vacation. In that email, I specify that I’ll only be available for emergencies during that period. This way, everyone is informed well in advance, and I can enjoy my time off knowing that I’ve managed client expectations.

Hope this method helps you out!

Have a great vacation!

3 Likes