Taxes in France, Germany, Italy or Portugal

I’m curious to learn more about how freelancers handle their taxes in different countries, especially in places like Germany, France, Italy or Portugal. I’m considering moving to another country and exploring options, and I want to get a better understanding of what to expect when it comes to tax obligations. :money_with_wings:

If you’re freelancing in any of these countries, could you share your experiences?

• What are the common tax rates for freelancers in these countries?
  • Have you encountered any unique challenges with the tax systems in these countries that freelancers should be aware of?
  • How do you handle tax payments throughout the year?
  • Are there any particular challenges or things to watch out for when filing taxes as a freelancer?

I’d love to hear your stories and advice! Any insights would be super helpful. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences! :pray:

1 Like

Hi Irina,

Thank you for sharing your curiosity about tax systems for freelancers in various European countries. As an Italian, I can offer you some specific information about the situation in Italy, particularly about the “regime forfettario” (flat-rate scheme) for new freelancers, which is very popular among freelancers here.

In Italy, we have a system called “regime forfettario” that is particularly advantageous for those starting a new freelance activity. Here are some key points:

1. Taxation: For the first 5 years, you only pay 5% tax on taxable income. After that, the rate increases to 15%.
  2. Income calculation: Not all income is considered; a coefficient ranging from 40% to 86% of revenue is applied, depending on the activity.
  3. Revenue limit: To remain in this scheme, you can’t invoice more than 85,000 euros per year.
  4. Tax payments: This is mainly done with two advance payments during the year and a balance payment the following year.

The main advantages include VAT exemption and very simplified accounting. However, there are also limitations, such as the inability to deduct costs and some restrictions on hiring employees.

Regarding challenges, the main one is probably managing cash flow for tax payments, as you need to set aside a portion of your earnings for advance payments.

One piece of advice I can give you is to always consult an accountant, especially at the beginning. The rules may seem complex, but with a little help, they become manageable.

I hope this information is useful to you! If you have specific questions about Italy, I’ll be happy to help you further.

Good luck with your exploration of options in different countries!

Gabriele

4 Likes

Hi Irina,

the situation for freelancers in Germany is comparable to the situation in Spain; everyone complains about the ‘high’ autonomo fees in Spain, but social security and healthy insurance in Germany come to very comparable rates/amounts in the hundreds of euros per month.

Germany also requires quarterly VAT filings; however, you can choose whether or not you want to file quarterly advance payments on your annual income tax - you can also opt to pay your entire income tax when you file at the end of the year/beginning of the next year. You could therefore put the taxes you owe aside and invest them until your taxes are due.

The tax rate depends on how much you earn on a scale that’s very similar to Spain. As a rule of thumb, it’s best to set aside roughly one third of your revenue for taxes, and then reduce the amount owed through expenses and tax credits. Same as in Spain, there is a lump sum of untaxed income.

As a generalization, Germany doesn’t treat solopreneurs or solo freelancers very well, meaning that you get tax breaks and credits etc. when you employ people, but not when you’re a single (in the double sense, no employees and unmarried) freelancer, resulting in the comparatively high social security and health insurance costs. Germany has a special kind of health insuance for “artists” which includes many creative freelance jobs, such as design, writing (even content and copy writing), or people working in film and music. If you happen to have one of these artistic jobs, you can apply for the artist health insurance and they will cover half of your health insurance and social security fees, i.e. the half that usually an employer would cover.

The other particularity that Germany has is: you can ask to be VAT exempt if your revenue hasn’t exceeded €22,000 the previous year and you expect less than €50,000 in revenue in the current year. That way, you invoice with a net amount only and don’t have to include VAT on your invoices. You don’t need to file VAT and you don’t need to pay it - however, you also can’t claim it back on any of your expenses. That solution is great if you don’t have many expenses and limited revenue. German clients sometimes don’t like these freelancers, because they can’t claim back VAT from your invoices; however, they’re legally obligated to pay your invoices, of course.

The things that you can claim as a business expense in Germany is also very similar to Spain; for example, it’s difficult to claim a home office unless it’s a dedicated office room in your home with a door and you only use it for work. The pandemic has introduced a flat home office tax credit, though.

There are limited credits or tax breaks you can get for founding a business, but typically there is a job creation requirement - again, as a solo freelancer, you hardly get any break during your first year of business.

Filing taxes in Germany works very much the same way, you file online with a digital certificate, or you can have your accountant file them for you. Be aware that digital services are actually less advanced in Germany than in Spain, which includes broadband internet service throughout the country. In the digital realm, Germany is a developing country.

I hope this helps!

Best, Jakob

4 Likes

Hi @gabrielelakhal

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation! The “regime forfettario” sounds like a very interesting option, especially with the lower tax rate for the first five years. I can see how that would be appealing for new freelancers starting out in Italy.

I’m curious, have you found any particular challenges with cash flow management under this scheme, especially with the advance payments?

Your insights have been incredibly helpful, and I really appreciate your advice!

Thanks again

Hi @jakob_michael

Thank you for this comprehensive breakdown of how freelancing works in Germany! It’s fascinating to see the similarities and differences compared to Spain, especially regarding social security and health insurance. The artist health insurance scheme is something I hadn’t considered. it’s great to know about these specific options for creative freelancers.

You mentioned that the VAT exemption is beneficial if you don’t have many expenses and limited revenue. How common is it for freelancers in Germany to choose this route, and are there any particular downsides to consider if they do? Also, it’s interesting to hear about the challenges with claiming a home office. Do you think the flat home office tax credit introduced during the pandemic is here to stay?

Your insights are incredibly helpful, especially as I weigh my options for potentially working in Germany. Since I already have family there, I’m considering making the move, and understanding these details is crucial for my planning.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

1 Like

Awesome feedback @gabrielelakhal and @jakob_michael ! Thank you! Your insights from the tax payer perspective are really cool!

It seems that the “forfettario” regime could be something similar to the beckham law regime in Spain, but just for the income tax part :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @irinage !

Regarding cash flow management under the flat-rate scheme, I haven’t really run into any major issues, not even with advance payments. Over time, I’ve developed a straightforward but well-structured workflow that helps me manage financial flows effectively.

Let me walk you through how I work:

1. Estimate and contract: I always kick things off with a detailed estimate and a contract for the client to sign. This sets clear expectations from the get-go and protects both of us.
  2. Advance invoice: I send out an advance invoice that needs to be paid before the project starts. No advance payment, no work begins. This ensures I have some initial cash flow and shows the client is serious about the project.
  3. Project presentation: Once I’ve wrapped up the work, I present it to the client. This might be through a PDF with a watermark or during a video call where I share my screen. This way, the client can see what I’ve done, give feedback, and request any tweaks.
  4. Final invoice and delivery: After the client gives the thumbs up, I send the final invoice. Once that payment comes through, I hand over the final files or launch the website. This approach helps me stay on top of payments and avoid any holdups.

This system has really helped me keep a handle on cash flow and minimize risks, even under the flat-rate scheme. I hope this gives you some useful ideas for managing your own business.

2 Likes

Hey Irina,

quick update and answer to your questions:

Yes, the flat rate for a home office tax credit is here to stay and has actually been doubled: you get €1,260 per year (before: €600) as a freelancer working from home, even if you don’t have a dedicated office room in your home (source: https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-de/schwerpunkte/entlastung-fuer-deutschland/homeoffice-2125028#:~:text=So%20können%20Steuerpflichtige%20pro%20Tag,statt%20120%20Homeoffice-Tage%20begünstigt.)

The “Kleinunternehmerregelung” (small business regulation) has the main advantage that you don’t have to file your VAT every quarter and overall have less paperwork. The disadvantages are that you can’t claim VAT on your expenses (again, matters less if your expenses are limited, common for creative services) and have that “small business label” - which could look less professional to some business clients. However, you can switch every year and HAVE to switch once your income increases. There is hardly a downside to starting out as a small business and only switch to “proper” VAT in your second or third year of business.

More on this:
https://www.accountable.de/en/blog/kleinunternehmer-guide/
https://www.fuer-gruender.de/wissen/unternehmen-fuehren/buchhaltung/kleinunternehmerregelung/
https://www.clevver.io/the-kleinunternehmer-a-guide-to-germanys-small-business-tax-status/

1 Like